First I tried to figure out how the piece was possibly made. There are strokes distributed quite evenly across the canvas yet they each have a random direction. At several places, there are holes or blank spaces were there are less or no strokes.
I thought it would be fun to make the interruptions piece interactive where the user can click and drag to make the “holes” at places they want. I did this by giving physical properties to all the strokes and manipulate the forces exerted on them.
I tweaked the relationship between the distance a stroke is from the mouse and the force exerted on it so that the holes look more like those in the original piece.
I’m satisfied with the result.