Using touch to place and resize objects
If you want to be able to place your object in front of you by touching your screen & then resizing it with two finger, use this script! It works by placing it on the thing you want to be able to move around!
(or you can point it to whatever you want it to move by dragging the sculpture/GameObject to the m_HitTransform public variable)
Some Quick reminders
(all of these things are covered in the tutorial, but I have just listed some stuff here that I have noticed students struggle with)
- The XR Surface controller should be on all AR objects for it to work.
- Deform to surface is for floors (add the transparent XR Shadow material by going into the XR folder then materials and drag that onto the game object)
- Lock to first surface this simply initiates the first location of the Game Object, this can be changed via scripting.
- There is wall detection, but it is proving to be slower than plane detection. It might be easier to simply place the object using the script at the bottom of this page.
- When the app first starts, the phone doesn't remember anything about its environment, so you may need to search around every time.
- XR remote is slow and glitchy, it is just for development, for better tracking and high-res build it to your phone! Your final piece should be built to your phone.
FOR iOS PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T BUILT TO THEIR iPHONE BEFORE:
When you "build and run" it will open up xcode & you will need to set up your developer account:
- go to "Window->Organizer" and then click on the Tab "Energy" then it will prompt you to log in to create a personal team developer account.
- Then back in xcode click "Unity-iPhone" in the left side panel, you will now go into another left side panel to "Unity-iPhone" under "Targets" it has a dark Unity logo next to it
- Then go to signing dropdown menu and click "your name (Personal Team)"
- Hit play!
It should work after that! Keep in mind that you have a limit to how many different apps you can build to your phone, so just keep building to the same app name if you don't want to run into that issue!
From XR tutorial Class8th wall Tutorial:
- Download 2 things:
- Demo Project
- 8th wall XR unity package (you need to be logged in)
Here are some resources to get 3D models:
- https://www.thingiverse.com/ - Usually used for 3d printing stuff
- https://www.models-resource.com/ - ripped assets
- http://www.turbosquid.com/ - For professionals (most cost $$$)
- https://free3d.com/ - vanilla! from dan and pussy krew
- https://grabcad.com/ - more realism, its for mechanical engineers
- https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/?hl=en - for sketchup (arch)
- http://www.makehumancommunity.org/ - software for making 3d model