- The background is white, all the lines are black
- Lines are arranged in a square lattice
- The lines are rotated around their centre point on the lattice
- The lattice is 56 x 56
- Some lines are missing
- If a line is missing, the probability that one of its neighbours is missing is high (Missing in groups)
- There are many more lines present than missing
- The length of each line is twice the distance between the centre points of each line on the lattice
- All the lines are the same length
- There is a margin around the piece
- The angles of rotation of the lines are within a rough normal distribution (the vast majority have only a small amount of rotation, and the more extreme the rotation the less of them there are)
I started out my figuring out how to formulate the lattice, starting with circles with their centre at the lattice points. This was done with a nested for loop. Once this was created, I set about replacing every circle with a vertical line with the appropriate pixel measurements/separations. At this point I had 56 vertical long lines. I then set about figuring out how to randomly rotate each of the lines. I initially just did this purely randomly, using random(). However, displeased by this I looked at possibilities for getting the rotations more normally distributed, and found randomGaussian(). Using this I was able to more normally distribute the angles. This was definitely a saving grace, and I massive appreciated it's existence, and it also alerted me to the extent of built in functions within p5.js.
I then set about working on the spaces, and felt that I would need two cases of probability of a space. My first probability was the base overall probability of their being a blank space, which I set to be relatively low. I then set about creating an array to store whether a line was there or not, with 0 representing the presence of a line and 1 being a blank space. Then with this, as the lines were created I checked whether a line's neighbour was blank (its left, above and left top angled neighbours). If this was the case the probability that it would be blank became higher. I then tinkered with both probabilities until I got a result that I felt resembled the original Interruptions. Getting this element of the neighbours working was the most difficult element of the app for me, with the formatting of the neighbour checking proving challenging.