Inspired by Go, originally implemented as analog system.
Nicky Case’s Simulating the world or Parable of the Polygons
(SimCity is based on cellular automata as well)
Flock algorithm (Boids) implementation in p5
Birds, fish, bugs, buffalos…
1) Don’t get too crowded.
2) Don’t get too isolated.
3) Swim with neighbors.
(An optional 4th rule is that you should do what it takes to flee predators)
Cindermedusae by Marcin Ignac
Karl Sims – Evolved Virtual Creatures, Evolution Simulation, 1994
- Generate the initial population of individuals randomly – first Generation
- Evaluate the fitness of each individual in that population
- Repeat on this generation until termination (time limit, sufficient fitness achieved, etc.):
- Select the best-fit individuals for reproduction – parents
- Breed new individuals through crossover and mutation operations to give birth to offspring
- Evaluate the individual fitness of new individuals
- Replace least-fit population with new individuals
The installation is in a rectangular room with 6 separate projection on the walls creating almost a 360º environment. The final piece includes an array or evolving creatures going through stages of development – evolution from simple to complex with human like properties with generative behaviours
Death imitates language – Harm van den Dorpel (2016)