Inspired by Go, originally implemented as analog system.Two steps (generations) of the game of life
Flock algorithm (Boids) implementation in processing
Birds, fish, bugs, buffalos…
1) Don’t get too crowded.
2) Don’t get too isolated.
3) Swim with neighbors.
(An optional 4th rule is that you should do what it takes to flee predators)
RecursionSoulwire recursion toy (click)
FractalsCauliflower, self-similar patterns are also found in nature
Some resources about fractals here.
Cindermedusae by Marcin Ignac
Darwin Hill (arbitrary selection)
Karl Sims – Evolved Virtual Creatures, Evolution Simulation, 1994
- Generate the initial population of individuals randomly – first Generation
- Evaluate the fitness of each individual in that population
- Repeat on this generation until termination (time limit, sufficient fitness achieved, etc.):
- Select the best-fit individuals for reproduction – parents
- Breed new individuals through crossover and mutation operations to give birth to offspring
- Evaluate the individual fitness of new individuals
- Replace least-fit population with new individuals
The installation is in a rectangular room with 6 separate projection on the walls creating almost a 360º environment. The final piece includes an array or evolving creatures going through stages of development – evolution from simple to complex with human like properties with generative behaviours
Want more of this? Read Out of control by Kelvin Kelly. Not extremely new, a little too Californian Ideology (pre dot com boom) but still good.